Thursday, May 17, 2007

How Zach came into the world...

Everyone loves a nice, juicy labor story right? Well Tuesday morning I was woken up at 6:10 with my first "real" contraction, then again at 6:20. When the third one came at 6:30 I got up and turned on my flat iron cuz I went to bed with wet hair and was not going to have wavy messy hair in all my hospital photos :) At 7:00 they jumped to 4 minutes apart so I woke up Ryan and we decided since they were gonna induce us today anyways we'd go into the hospital instead of risking getting there too late to have an epidural like we did with Nate (w/in an hour of getting to the hospital he was born) So we dropped Nate off at my sister's house, took a peek at the new kitties that were born during the night (orange and white if anyone's looking for a new family pet), and got to Kaiser at 9:00. By this time my contractions were still super strong but my times were all over the board: 10 min, 7 min, 4 min, 20min. So we got all strapped up to the monitors and waited to get checked. They told us everyone was getting admitted so far that morning and thought we were gonna break the stretch and get sent home cuz I didn't really look as in labor as the other girls. Then they sent home the 2 girls they checked before me: one was told to go home all the way to Hesperia on her 5th kid! But when they checked me I was at a 5 so we got a room - a big one! Once in the room we started all the paperwork and they drew blood for the epidural testing. Then they checked me and said I was at a 6 or 7 and they gave us the big choice: they said "If we break your water you'll probably have this baby within an hour OR if you want to get the epidural we can wait for those tests to come back and then after you get it, it might be awhile until you have your baby later today." So we chose the speedy way. I knew I'd still get pain meds thru my IV and Hey, I did it once w/o the epidural I could do it again - what I didn't know is that I would get OD'd on Nubain and feel like I was stoned the whole time. So they broke my water at 12:03 and immediately the contractions got serious. It hurt alot but you do what you gotta do and Zach was born 50 minutes later.

This is Zach "take home" outfit with his name embroidered across the front :)

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Your Mom makes the best blankets and don't forget you have to update your header now! You know after you are all recovered and stuff.

Nicole Leonard said...

I love labor stories! Thanks for sharing! You're totally super woman for going it without the epidural. Zach is absolutely ADORABLE!!! I can't wait to meet him in person!

psmith said...

Wow Jane...you are the "pain master"...Thankfully you also have your babies FAST! He is so cute! It must be nice to be home!

Stef said...

Thanks for sharing...it is true, we all love a good labor story!

Anonymous said...

Yay for labor stories cause it's all still scary and unknown to me. I just hope I'm lucky enough to have such a quick labor! I've been watching A Baby Story on TLC and some of those deliveries are scary! And the babies always come out all purple like little aliens.